Visitors From Outside Canada

Generally crossing this border is straightforward and will include going through immigration customs both ways. The biggest hassle is usually the length of the queues, so consider avoiding peak times such as public holidays and the start and end of the working day.

What are the Current Passport Requirements?

United States citizens and legal residents of the United States do not require passports or visas to enter Canada as visitors. When crossing the border you may be asked to show proof of citizenship such as birth certificate or passport as well as proof of identity such as a drivers license with photo ID. Photocopies of any identification will not be accepted.

The United States now requires a passport to enter the United States. To reduce inconvenience for U.S. citizens, who travel to Canada, the U.S. Government has decided to create a less expensive PASS (People Access Security Service) Card. This pass will fit in a travelers' wallet and will cost about half the price of obtaining a regular U.S. passport. Although passports will not be required to enter the United States until the beginning of 2008, travelers are encouraged to start preparing for the changes. Canada is considering implementing a similar Citizenship card and integrating the card system with the U.S.

On February 22, 2007 the U.S. Department of Homeland Security said that children under 16 will not have to show a passport at the border. A certified copy of their birth certificate and parental consent will be enough. This exemption will also apply to 16- to18-year-olds traveling in certain adult-supervised groups, such as school and religious groups, social or cultural organizations and sports teams. However, 16- to 18-year-olds traveling alone, with family or with non-exempt groups will still need a passport to enter the U.S. And children of any age will still need a passport for air travel.

What if I have a Criminal Record?

Even a D.U.I. will prevent travel to Canada. Apply for a Temporary Resident Permit for hassle free border crossing into Canada.

For a free consultation call: Canada Border Crossing Services, Lucy Perillo

Phone: 1-204-488-6350 

U.S.A. Toll Free: 1-800-438-7020

Fax: 1-204-975-0394

Address: 103-B Scurfield Blvd., Winnipeg, MB, CANADA R3Y 1M6.



What can I bring to Canada?

Visitors may bring the following items into Canada: 200 cigarettes (= 1 carton), 50 cigars, and 14 ounces of tobacco; 1.1 liters or 40 imperial ounces (= 1 bottle) of liquor or wine, or 24 x 355-milliliter (12-ounce) bottles or cans of beer for personal consumption; gifts up to the value of C$60 per gift. To import tobacco products a person must be 18 years of age or over, and to import alcoholic beverages the importer must have reached the legal age established by authorities of the province. You can bring in a small amount of food for your own consumption. Different restrictions will apply to returning Canadian residents.

Americans in particular will need to be aware that Canada has strict gun laws. Generally, all weapons without legitimate sporting or recreational use are prohibited, and guns used for hunting or competition may be brought in with a permit. (Contact below). Undeclared firearms will be confiscated, and criminal charges may be made. For more information about going into Canada, phone the border-crossing post directly. For answers to Canadian customs enquiry’s, or to locate the nearest Canadian customs district office, call the following telephone numbers: From within Canada, call: (toll-free) 1-800 461-9999. From outside Canada, call: 204-983-3500; or, 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply).