Frequently Asked Questions

Is Thompson's Camps open year-round?

Yes, Thompson's Camps is open year-round! Our fishing season runs from May 15th - September 31st.

During the off-season (October 1st - May14th) we do not offer boat rentals and have a reduced number of cabins available for rent.


How do I get to Thompson's Camps?

Thompson's Camps located on Otter Lake, which is part of the historic Churchill River system in beautiful northern Saskatchewan. Our resort is located in the townsite of Missinipe, which is 50 miles (80 km) north of La Ronge on the Can-Am #2 highway.

See our directions for vehicles and aircraft by clicking here.

Traveling from outside of Canada? See some information for out-of-country travelers by clicking here.


How do I make a reservation at Thompson's Camps?

Reservations for Thompson's Camps are made over the phone or by email. Please contact us at:

Phone: (306) 635-2144

Toll Free: (800) 667-5554

Email: thompsons@adventuredestinations.ca


How far in advance should I make a reservation?

For reservations in June (our busiest month), we suggest booking at least a year in advance. However, if you haven't already booked, it's still worth a phone call to see whether we can fit you in. We do get cancellations and are often able to squeeze groups in last-minute.

For other times of year, we suggest booking at least a month in advance. Of course, you should book farther in advance if you want to guarantee yourself a cabin on popular weekends such as Canada Day or Labour Day.


Is food provided at Thompson's Camps?

Food is not provided with a cabin rental.

Thompson's Camps has a fully-licenced restaurant and catering service in the main lodge. The restaurant is open to guests and the public. See the Ottering Hole Restaurant page for more information.

Furthermore, the Churchill River Trading Post (located across the street from the Thompson's Camps Main Lodge) has a wide selection of food and beverages for purchase.


Do the cabins have kitchens?

Yes, all of our cabins have kitchens and barbeques.


Is bedding and linen provided in the cabins?

Yes, bedding and linen are provided in the cabins. Guests must bring their own towels.


Is there electricity at Thompson's Camps?

Yes. All cabins have electricity.


Is there treated water at the Thompson's Camps? How about heated water?

Yes, all water at Thompson's Camps is treated by a municipal water treatment facility.


What are the washroom and shower facilities like?

All of our Otter Lake Resort cabins have fully modern washroom and shower facilities. No out-houses or bucket showers here!


Is there cell phone coverage in Missinipe?

Yes, there is cell phone coverage in Missinipe. There is cell phone coverage on portions of Otter Lake (close to the highway). There is no cell phone coverage at our day fly-out lakes.


Can we bring our own boats to Thompson's Camps?

Yes, you can bring your own boats to Thompson's Camps.


Are there guides available for Otter Lake? How about for day fly-out excursions?

Yes. Guides can be arranged for your stay at Thompson's Camps. Guides are available for both Otter Lake an day fly-out excursions. However, we require adequate notice before your trip in order to arrange these services.


Which species of fish can I catch at Thompson's Camps?

You can catch a variety of fish species at Thompson's Camps, depending on where you choose to fish. Otter Lake (our drive-in lake) has northern pike and walleye. Our Day Fly-out Excursions offer lake trout, northern pike and walleye fishing. Finally, our Outpost Camp Experiences offer a choice between arctic grayling, lake trout, northern pike and walleye lakes.

For a more in-depth discussion of the fish species at Thompson's Camps' lakes, please see the Fishing section of our website.


What sort of fishing licence do I need?

You will require a Saskatchewan Fishing Licence. With the exception of Dead Lake and Hickson Lake, all of our outpost camps are in the Northern Zone. The Northern Zone requires the purchase of annual fishing licences. All licences must be purchase online. For more information, please see the "Saskatchewan Fishing Licences" link at the top of our website or visit the Government of Saskatchewan Fishing Licences website.


What are the catch limits for Otter Lake?

Please refer to the Catch Limits page on our website or go to the Saskatchewan Environment website for more information.